Using landscape architecture and co-design to work with local stakeholders and Granton:hub charity to transform a patch of brownfield land into a flourishing community garden.
Granton:hub has worked in partnership The EDI Group Ltd, landowner, to secure a licence for use the external space at Madelvic House. with funding from the Postcode Lottery Trust, Granton:hub appointed HERE+NOW to lead a process of engagement and design for the planning and implementation of the outdoor space. The community group aims to create a hub and a local venue which plays host to a range of projects with an emphasis on creative and green space activities.
Granton:hub is the umbrella to a number of individual partner project and organisations. Through a process of engagement, direct action, ‘leading by doing’ and the preparation of a series of more manageable sub-project ‘sheets’, the volunteers have been working to deliver a number of interlinked and yet autonomous activities:
- A community garden linked by a footpath route to outdoor seating for the cafe and space for community growing, with new entrance gates, and timber fencing replacing the unsightly heras fence.
- A wildflower market garden project led by the Royal Edinburgh Botanic Garden as part of the Edinburgh Living Landscapes project, where local seed was collected, and wildflower plants grown to sell locally for the promotion of biodiversity, with a programme of interactive and inclusive workshops and events;
- Planting of sections of native hedgerow, with plants provided by the Woodland Trust;
- A biodiversity edge of existing self-seeded scrub vegetation to retain existing habitats and encourage biodiversity, and create a physical offset to the car factory building;
- Relocation of the scrapstore from Meanwhile Fountainbridge;
- Siting of a reclaimed shipping container for storage of materials for artistic projects;
- Raised timber planters built as part of a workshop facilitated by the Edinburgh Tool Library.
- Children’s play including a mud kitchen, sand pit, and loose parts play opportunities.